Strangest English idioms

they are really expressing emotions Laimingas I do like them too Gerai

It’s interesting, I haven’t ever heard about it Gerai

This story is hilarious!!! I can’t believe someone said in it public! On the other hand, when I was first learning English, I had to use a few expressions for my English class. One of them was “make out”. So I went and asked a girl with who’s family I was staying at the time to explain it to me. She was 13 or so, so when I asked her, she turned all red… Anyways, I ended up using the expression in a sentence something like this: “I can’t make out what he is saying”. Her version was something like this: “They were making out”…

Let’s play it by ear - pagyvesim-pamatysim LaimingasFor crying out loud - Po velnių !!!

Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t it Reigning (something) title, person etc. It does sound like Rain-ing, but I don’t think it is. I want to hear from DarPo1 about this. Gėlė

I am not DarPo1, but I think you are right, you would say, “Reigning world champion”. A little correction in your question though. When you want to ask a question, you might say, “Isn’t” or “Isn’t it”, not “Is in it”. “Isn’t” is short for “is not”, which I am sure you know.

Thank You Elusive_Mind, I see my mistake, I guess I got caught up between is, it, in, not in …etc. And you nick (which is beautiful) reminds me about documentary called" Elusive Muse "about famous ballerina Suzanne Farrell. Gėlė

i myself haven’t heard that idiom before, but it exists. and it is raining (world champion). at least i found it in some places on the internet in that form. it’s a pity i didn’t manage to find it’s explanation anywhere… or maybe it is an innovative transformation of some original idiom Nekaltas hmmm…

I think you are mistaken about the “raining”. I think if you found references on the web, it could as well be typos. Web is full of mistakes, even webpages created by native English speakers. If you are not sure about spelling, it’s best to check with one of the dictionary sites, such as encarta.com. I was not able to find a dictionary definition that would define “reigning champion”, but here is an article from encyclopedia: "The second Karpov-Kasparov match in 1985 was organised as the best of 24 games, first player to 12.5 points would claim the title (in the event of a 12-12 draw, the title would go to Karpov as the reigning champion). " to read full article, go to: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Kasparov

Thank you, GabbyN, for the compliment Gėlė. Unfortunatley, I have not seen “Elusive Muse”, but perhaps I will one day.

It’s interesting, I haven’t ever heard about it Gerai