Political situation in Lithuania these days

God knows what’s going on these days. Beside, I heard Paksas flies to Iraq today.

VV

Nothing to share. Just tired of all this politics and that’s all Piktas

VV

and I am oppositely very hungry Kanda what concerns politics in LT. I like circus Taip Tūsas

Me too Šypsena

VV

Paksas is my PRESIDENT Taip

Why’s he yours?

VV

Rhetoric question, isn’t it? Nekaltas

No. Just he said Paksas was his president. What could that mean?

VV

probably Nekaltas that he supports him Nekaltas what else could he mean?

Do you support Paksas?

VV

I support everyone Nekaltas

Everyone? Well, that’s a strange position. Nekaltas

VV

That’s kind of a-political postition Nekaltas

Try this link → http://www.xtasy.skynet.lt/apklausa/ vote and then we’ll see the results Nekaltas

Thanx.

VV

Anything new happened today?

VV

11/16/2003 07:00:00 PM EST – INTERFAX

President must resign if political scandal is to end - Lithuanian

VILNIUS. Nov 17 (Interfax) - Lithuanian President Rolandas Paksas cannot fulfill his duties effectively and so he can only resign, Lauras Bielinis, an influential Lithuanian political analyst and an assistant professor at the Lithuanian Institute of International Relations and Political Sciences, told Interfax on Monday.

"The scandal surrounding Paksas has for all practical purposes paralyzed the operation of presidency as an institution. Even if he is right, the president cannot effectively perform the functions of his office," he said

"The longer the scandal rages on, the more problems the president,presidency and the entire state will encounter," Bielinis said. "Consequently, Paksas must make a choice between the prestige of presidency and the interests of the state or his personal career in the office," he said.

"If he thinks like a citizen who cares for the state and like a man, Paksas cannot think that his own interests take priority over the state interests and so he has no other way to proceed than to resign," Bielinis said.

"This would immediately improve the situation enabling Lithuania to act institutionally on the international level as a full-fledged partner," he said.

If he does not resign, Paksas would become a puppet of the parliament and the Cabinet and the institution of presidency will lose its independence, "or the president will be managed by other state institutions and the balance of state authorities would be disturbed to the detriment of the state’s interests," Bielinis said.

Bielinis was not sure whether there are legal grounds for initiating Paksas’ impeachment. He also doesn’t know if the president has acted violated the constitution, his oath or legislation.

"The prosecution service and the parliamentary commission investigating the scandal can answer these questions," he said.

Avoiding the process of impeachment which may take months would benefit everybody, Bielinis said.

"Paksas has every reason to resign. Both he and the state would benefit from this step," he said.

The scandal broke out at the end of October when a State Security Department report was published suggesting that the president and his immediate entourage may have links to international criminal organizations.

Paksas has refuted these allegations. He has said that he will never resign and that he intends to reorganize his team. Five out of six his chief advisers have been forced to resign.

Meanwhile, over 400 science and culture figures have signed a demand that Paksas should go. The Conservative party and the Society of Former Political Prisoners and Exiles are also pushing for his removal.

A rally demanding Paksas’ resignation will be held outside the presidential office in Vilnius on November 22. [LT EUROPE EMRG POL CRIM]

Copyright © 2003 Interfax News Agency. Source: Financial Times Information Limited.

[quote]I\'ve got one wordTaip: BAD!!!BaisuVeeeBlogaiKandaPavargęsNežinauIgnoruoju [/quote]

The circus continues Nekaltas

I think that the situation in general is very sad. Are they really fighting for that worthless throne?